Here are my research notes.
Since my alter ego is based on a world of warcraft character I took much of my inspiration of that environment. However I wanted to give it a bit more than the typical blood elf environment. Rococo patterns were what I was mostly looking at and lightning, how to combine gold with the typical red blood elven environment. Knowing that the rococo patterns mostly are decorations that are still being used in the French palaces I implimented these in my mood sheet.
“Rococo, less commonly roccoco, or “Late Baroque”, is an 18th-century artistic movement and style, affecting many aspects of the arts including painting, sculpture, architecture, interior design, decoration, literature, music, and theatre. It developed in the early 18th century in Paris, France as a reaction against the grandeur, symmetry, and strict regulations of the Baroque, especially of the Palace of Versailles.” – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo
(Mood sheet. Images are screenshots from Blizzard’s World of Warcraft; Silvermoon and interieur of several palaces.Google image searches.)
I also took several references of certain items I wanted to include in my animation from the game itself by taking screenshots or simply exploring the buildings and items that are shown in game.
(Screenshots taken from the Blizzard game World of Warcraft: Silvermoon and Talador.)
Aside from the tutorials in class itself and the tutorials posted on our university’s website, it didn’t cover everything I wanted to impliment in my animation, therefor I turned to old trusted youtube for some easily explained tutorials. Light such as fires or candle lights and smoke.
(Youtube user : Sangiemenla. Covered both fire and smoke effects.)
For the curtains I used a tutorial that was provided by Maya itself, which guides you to a tutorial on their official website. It’s a written tutorial which was very helpful.
Creating objects wasn’t much of an issue for me, however keeping the computer from lagging by adding too many items was somewhat of a struggle. Most of my reseach therefor took place in the game itself. Observing how items were put together, if it were several polygons or if it was simply one polygon which was textured in a way that it made it seem as if it consisted out of several. This left me to actually texture more and try to limit the amount of polygons and so kept my project in a more manageable (no lag) situation.
However, items/displays that were on ‘eye-level’ seemed to be with individual items.
And the items were mostly a copy of one another regarding textures. The reason it almost goes unnoticed seems to be because each shelf has another lay-out. As seen in the image above: the Top shelf has 3 books, all the same texture, however layed out differently. Second, two scrolls and two books which have different textures, third shelf has scrolls with ‘rolls’ in them which takes the attention away from the three books with the same textures. All in all, the shelves are filled with 1 and the same book which is covered with 2 different colours as textures and the smaller scrolls are the same as the larger ones, just scaled down in size. From this I took that repeating on eye-level will give you a ‘copy-paste’ feel, however when it’s above eye-level it really doesn’t matter if you texture a bookcase as the observer won’t notice (with the right lighting and shadows) that it’s actually a flat surface.